Saturday 21 February 2015

WEDNESDAY 4 MARCH

David Jones in action
The Man is back! Anyone who was at our meeting in April 2012 cannot fail to have been amazed at the almost magic like floral arrangements created by our speaker DAVID JONES, who pays us a return visit on Wednesday 4 March at 8pm in the Red Cross Hall, Oxted.
This time his presentation has the intriguing title of "THREE WEDDINGS AND A 4Oth". Make of that what you will, but all will no doubt be revealed on the 4 March.
One of David's creations will be the top prize for a raffle that night.
Here is some information about David and his background:

The beginning
Unlike most florists or floral decorators who profess to have had a passion for flowers and plants from an early age, I did not. I grew up in the centre of Liverpool, with the only green space being the local park!
It wasn’t until I had moved to London and worked in the hotel industry for a year, that I embarked on a course for flower arranging. For how and why is a mystery, but as it turned out, it was the career and future that was meant to be. That was back in the long hot summer of 1976.
After the course (of which I failed all of the exams), I met Kenneth Turner, the greatest innovator of the flower industry. It was he who drew out of me what was to become my life long passion. He saw in me a natural talent for colour sense and mixing, the ability to appreciate scale and the dramatic visions within. Also at this point I met Noel Minett, who eventually became my business partner and life long friend and adviser.
I worked for Kenneth for 5 years, then moved off into the freelance circuit working for the floral worlds elite, to gain more experience.
Development
In 1986, Noel and I began our business journey. We became immediately successful and in great demand. We were innovative leaders of the event / party decorating world for the next 15 years. Creating magical settings for a whole array of weddings including Sting and Trudie Styler, Greg and Lucy Rudedski, Duke and Duchess of York, barmitzvas, birthdays and all forms of celebrations and events, such as the Jaguar style.
We were introduced to Jaguar by Belle Shenkman, who was our driving force to developing the Jaguar style. Again this was achieved with JCB with the enthusiasm of Sir Anthony and Lady Bamford in the development of the "look" for their excavating machinery company. Other projects with The Royal Shakespeare Company, The National Theatre, The National Portrait Gallery, British Alcan, all followed suit. It was a very exciting time.
Noel had retired after the first five years, when I continued with two new partners, firstly with Jenny Lamberton, then later with Simon Waddilove.
After the first 15 years, I needed “Time Out”. To give my creativity a well earned break.
The Future
In 2009, I returned to the wonderful world of flowers, with renewed enthusiasm and vigour. I am now back at what I do best, and producing some of my best work. And so I continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment