Sunday 28 September 2014

WEDNESDAY 1 OCTOBER at 8pm

We are pleased to welcome Geoff Hawkins as our guest speaker at the Red Cross Hall, Oxted on Wednesday 1 October at 8pm. His subject will be "Wild Flowers".
 Here is what Geoff says about himself:
 In January 2012 I retired as headgardener from the private estate of Mill Court near Alton,   
 Hampshire where I had worked since 1977.
 As a head gardener running a small estate of 30 acres this meant I worked in
 greenhouses,  vegetable and fruit gardens, herbaceous and shrub borders as well as 
 looking after the trees, ponds and natural features on the estate.
 Since retiring I am available for more daytime talks and will be able to travel longer
 distances. I am still based in Alton, Hampshire.
 I have lectured at local adult education centres on gardening skills, garden design and
 growing your own fruit & vegetables.
 For over twelve years I was a regular expert on LBCs Weekend Matters along with
 Matthew  Biggs, Christeen Walkden, John Allbutt  and Jim Butress. I have also appeared
 on BBC Southern Counties Radio and Delta FM.
 It has also been good to give talks and lectures to horticultural societies, gardening clubs,  
 WI’s, Women’s Guilds, schools and various associations sharing the practical knowledge
 I have gained over the years and spreading the joy and fun of gardening.
 I am a member of the SURREY GUILD of JUDGES and LECTURERS and on the list of
 speakers for the Hampshire Federation of Horticultural Societies
 I have also been part of the team at Loseley Gardening Show with John Negus, Peter
 Mills, Paul Patton and Alan Sergeant. We hope to take the team to other shows around the
 area.
 For a little bit of light relief from the day job I have also been involved in the running of 
 Froyle Gardening Club having done two stints as Chairman and have been on the
 committee for many years. I have also taken part in 23 of the 25 pantomines produced by
 the Froyle Players. Not many bearded dames around these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment